Describing characters isn’t always easy, so to help out, I present the Character Description Crawl.
Name. Count the letters in your character’s first name and multiply by ten. Write that many words.
- If your character has black hair write 50 words.
- If they have brown hair write 75 words.
- If they have blond hair write 100 words.
- If they have gray or white hair write 125 words.
- If they have an unusual hair color (pink, green, vines instead of hair, etc.) write 150 words.
- If they’re bald sprint for 5 minutes.
- If your character has blue eyes write 50 words.
- If they have brown eyes write 75 words.
- If they have green eyes write 100 words.
- If they have grey eyes, write 125 words.
- If they’re blind or are missing eyes, sprint for 5 minutes.
- If they have mismatched eyes, complete both challenges for their eye colors.
- If they’re shorter than average, sprint for 5 minutes.
- If they’re average height, write 10 minutes.
- If they’re taller than average, sprint for 15 minutes.
- If they have notable scars or injuries, write 25 words for each one.
- If they have piercings or jewelry, write 50 words for each piece. (Earrings only count as 1 piece if they are matched pair).
- If they have additional features (horns, wings, robot characters, animal characters, etc.) sprint for 5 minutes for each feature.
- If they have tattoos, write 75 words for each tattoo they have.
Rate their traits on a scale from 1-5 with 1 being the lowest. Complete each assignment that number of times. For example, if a character is a 3 on the honesty scale, complete the sprint 3 separate times.
- Honesty: Sprint for 5 minutes.
- Calmness: Write 50 words.
- Generosity: Write 25 words.
- Responsibility: Sprint for 10 minutes.
- Respectful: Sprint for 5 minutes.
- Aggressiveness: Write 100 words.
- Clumsiness: Write 25 words.
- Timidity: Write 50 words.
- Gullibility: Sprint for 5 minutes.
- Sloppiness: Sprint for 10 minutes.
Protagonist or Antagonist
If your character is a protagonist or supports a protagonist, sprint for 15 minutes.
If your character is an antagonist or supports an antagonist, write 250 words.
Finished? Let me know how many words you ended up with!